The Handprint List
The bucket list. 101 things to do before I die. The Barefoot List. I’ve heard it called different things, but it’s essentially the same and everyone has one whether they’ve written it down or not. They give us something to strive for and look forward to.
I call it my Handprint List, because it’s who I am, who I hope to become, and the mark I want to leave on the world, and it inspired this blog. I doubt I’ll actually accomplish all these things, but it’s a list of things I can do. It reminds me to aim high and keep an open mind. I add and remove things all the time, and I think everyone should have one of these. So here’s mine, and I hope it will inspire you to create your own. (The bold items are the ones I’ve done)
McKella’s Handprint List
- Work, teach, or volunteer in a foreign country
- 5. China
- Do a family history tour through England, Ireland, and Denmark
- The Vatican
16. Eastern Europe (Romania, Ukraine, Etc.)
17. Visit the Galapagos Islands to see wildlife up close.
19. Hike to Macchu Picchu
20. Visit Mayan ruins
22. Road trip across America (On a bike if I want to get really brave)
23. New England during the fall
24. Visit Roden Crater
25. Visit the Sacred Grove
26. New York
27. Ferry on the Mississippi River
29. Washinton DC, to learn about our county’s history.
30. Visit Native American pueblos
31. Visit the Muppet stuff in the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Earn a Bachelor’s Degree
- Speak Spanish fluently.
- Learn to belly dance
- Learn to surf
- Improve my piano playing
- Learn to play chess
- Improve my singing
- Sewing (enough to actually alter and design my own clothes)
12. Ice skating
14. Study abroad
15. Learn to survive in the wilderness and test my skills
16. Learn a martial art
17. Learn to place Linus and Lucy in full
19. Bread making
20. Learn to use a pottery wheel
21. Make my own ravioli
23. Study psychology
24. Learn to not throw like a girl
25. Skip rocks
26. Publish novels…I don’t know how many.
27. Publish at least one non-fiction book
28. Become financially independent and debt-free while doing something I love
29. Write and publish a children’s book
30. Create a whole body of art work and have a gallery show, even a private one.
31. Sell a piece of art
32. Change a tire all by myself
33. Be vegan for a year
34. Try African dance
35. High-raw vegan for a month
36. Name a star
37. See the Spiral Jetty
38. See Halley’s Comet
39. Shower in a waterfall or in the rain
40. Spend the night on a beach
41. Scuba dive in a coral reef
42. See the northern lights
43. Touch a whale
44. Watch a caterpillar emerge from it’s chrysalis
45. Do 50 push-ups in a row
46. Go an entire day without speaking
47. Pet a tiger
49. Learn to live simply
50. Skinny dip
51. Make a two-headed snowman, Calvin and Hobbes style
52. Swim with dolphins
53. Volunteer in an animal shelter
54. Volunteer to help abused women and children
55. Reduce my carbon footprint
56. Throw a surprise party for someone
57. Create a new holiday just for my family
58. Plant a tree
59. Dance in a foreign country
60. Ride a camel
61. Get a golden retriever
62. Try bikram yoga
63. Reach my natural ideal weight through intuitive eating and enjoyable movement.
64. Eat at a raw vegan restaurant, just to try.
65. See Tears for Fears live.
66. Run a half-marathon
67. Run a race for charity
68. Master the scorpion pose
69. Ride a horse sidesaddle
70. Try showjumping.
71. Do a headstand
72. Go rock climbing
73. Ride in a hot air balloon
74. Live without a car for a year
75. Win first place in something
76. Live by the ocean
77. Go sailing
78. Celebrate a non-materialist Christmas
79. See a whale in the wild
80. Grow my own food
81. Do the splits
82. Sing in a rock band
83. Live a full-blown yogini lifestyle for six months. Asanas, cleansing practices, etc.
84. Try fencing
85. Get a pet pig
86. Watch a meteor shower
87. Own a home
88. Trek through a jungle
89. Write, play and sing a song
90. Get married in the Temple
91. Become a mother
92. Homeschool my kids through elementary
93. At least try natural childbirth…this is a big maybe, I don’t know, I don’t know.
94. Research my geneology
95. Do temple work for my family members
96. Conquer my depression and anxiety
97. Learn to truly manage stress
98. Conquer fear (driving, being away from my family, offending people, etc.)
99. Learn to be happy no matter what my circumstances
100. Age gracefully. None of this wrinkle fighting or hair-dyeing stuff.
101. Finally, make an amazing scrapbook of all this
I plan on making a separate tab to post photos of these things as I accomplish them, a sort of visual “checklist.”
If you have a blog, consider yourself tagged! Post your own handprint list and send me a link. I’d love to see it! If you don’t have a blog, squeeze whatever you can into the comments.