Stress busting toolkit
I feel kind of stupid writing a post about stress relief when I spend half my time on the verge of exploding. I’m surprised my cortisol levels aren’t shooting out my ears. Obviously, this is something I need to work on, so why not write a post?
I’ve been an emotional eater all my life, and though I’m getting better stress is the one emotion that causes me to hunt down the nearest chocolate bar while practically foaming at the mouth. Today was just one of those days, so now I’m collapsed on my couch with my laptop perched on top of my food baby. Time to find a better plan.
I compiled a list of simple techniques to try instead of causing a world chocolate shortage:
- Listen to music (Dave Matthews seems to work pretty well.)
- Do some Ujjayi breathing. Preferably when I’m alone so I don’t scare anyone.
- Sneak into an empty room and do some stretches
- Talk to someone
- Go for a walk, or a furious run. If I can’t leave maybe hop on the stationary bike and pretend I’m riding away to a sunny beach somewhere.
- Stick my face in a pillow and scream (I haven’t done this for awhile, but I remember it feeling pretty good) then I can pound on it if I want.
- Watch an episode of the Muppet Show. If I don’t have time, watch that clip of Beaker, Swedish Chef and Animal singing Danny Boy. (Yes, this is the kind of stuff that makes me laugh. Don’t knock it.)
- Clean or organize something. Better yet, get rid of something.
- Play with Louka or Meeko (my calm kitty and my cousin’s psycho kitty)
- Take a bath
I must still be stressed. I can tell because my writing gets really snarky, but I’m not in a bad mood or anything. Hopefully when this posts in the morning, I’ll be refreshed and calm.
Do you have any tricks to manage your stress?